Yeast infections are not only uncomfortable and itchy, but they are also very hard to get rid of. They are often treated using prescription creams and medicines. But there are home remedies too which can give you the desired results. Like using coconut oil, reducing sugar in your diet and having yogurt which is also bacteria-rich food. But the efficacy of these methods other than coconut oil is not yet determined and that is why we are only suggesting using coconut oil to everyone.
Yeast infection is caused due to overgrowth of Candida albicans, which is present in everyone. They are essential in regulated amounts but if triggered it will spread and proliferate. Common areas where yeast infections are caused are skin, vagina, mouth, and intestine. They are caused due to changes in hormones, chronic stress, allergies or nutrient deficiency. Coconut oil is a fatty oil which is derived from the coconut fruit. Coconut has antibacterial properties which makes it a very effective treatment for yeast infections. Additionally, it also helps in digestion and balancing of hormones. It also has many other health benefits. Now, the main question: why we should use Coconut oil for infection? What are the reasons for using coconut oil?
Reasons for using Coconut oil
Coconut oil contains a large amount of lauric acid, caprylic acid, and capric acid. During yeast infection there is an overgrowth of fungal cells; lauric acid defends against these cells and improves our immune system. Caprylic acid breaks down the membrane created by the yeast infection and also prevents it from spreading further. Other than this there are other nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants present in coconut oil that stimulates healing and prevents yeast infections in future.
Research also proved that using coconut oil yields maximum results against C albicans. In 2007, during a lab study, it was found that a species of yeast were killed by coconut oil. It was noted that C albicans were most susceptible to the concentrated oil. Also, it was found that less amount of oil was required to treat fluconazole, which is an antifungal medication. It is common for the treatment of yeast infections.A similar result was obtained in 2014 canine study, where twenty dogs were used for the experiment. They were treated with the coconut oil. A mixture of essential oils and coconut oil was applied to dogs for one month. Results were good and no adverse effects were noted on dogs. Although, it is believed that more research is required in this field to come to a concrete conclusion.
Moreover, using coconut oil can be used as an energy source while you are on a candida diet. There are two reasons for this: One is its antifungal property and other is it is a large and natural source of MCTs, also known as medium chain triglycerides. MCTs are fatty acids known for lowering down the energy levels, especially during candida diet, where you need to supplement the high carb food. Many people have thus coconut oil to supplement the diet and are surprised as to how much energize they feel using it. In fact, replacing carbs with the oil is a very common method practiced among athletes. Even more for those athletes who need to lose weight while maintaining higher energy levels. You can get more benefits like this if you use fresh organic coconuts which are available nearby you.
Coconut oil has a very calming effect and thus it is used as carrier oil along with other essential oils. Essential oils like tea tree oil cannot be applied directly as they are too strong, but when mixed with coconut oil their strength gets diluted. This helps in making skin creams safer, mild and less irritating. Now, we have known the reasons for using coconut oils and below we will know various methods of using coconut oils as to get best possible results.
Methods of using coconut oils
For the best benefits and nutritional values, use coconut 100 % organic coconut oil.
For yeast infection on skin:
- For those who have never used coconut oil before, try and use coconut oil in areas other than infection.
- Wait for 24 hours to see the response of your body.
- If everything is fine than proceed with the coconut oil.
- Before using coconut oil wash the infected area properly.
- Wait till the area is dried up.
- Now, apply a thin layer of oil on the smaller infected area and repeat the above process before applying the coconut oil to larger areas.
- After using coconut oil for several times you will notice that coconut oil alone is not enough.
- For itchy skin, use the mixture of coconut oil along with ozonated olive oil to help with many similar discomforts.
For nails and toenails fungus:
- Slightly modify the above method and you can use coconut oil for nails and toenails fungus infections as well.
- Initially, soften your toenails by soaking your feet in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Keep your toes and feet completely dry with a towel so that you can trim your toenails easily.
- Keep the toenails as short as possible so that the coconut oil can reach deeper.
- Prepare the same mixture of coconut oil and ozonated olive oil and apply it on the nail and the surrounding skin using cotton.
- Begin by applying to the shorter areas and if irritation occurs, than clean the area and wash immediately with warm water.
- Repeat this process twice in a day.
For male yeast infection:
- For this method also prepare a mixture of coconut oil and ozonated olive oil.
- Properly wash the infected area and dry it well.
- Apply it to the penis (affected area) twice a day.
As in the other methods, try this also on smaller sections before using on larger areas.
Researchers have proved that coconut oil is best used for oral thrush and maintaining good oral health and hygiene. Oil pulling is a method used to promote oral detoxification and oral health. The idea behind this is that certain oils have the ability to pull toxins, bacteria and other harmful microorganisms from mouth and saliva. When you swish coconut oil around your mouth for 10 minutes microorganisms are attracted. Some important points you need to keep in mind:
- This process should be done first thing in the morning. Do this process after brushing and rinsing your mouth.
- Do not use more than 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Use 100 % organic coconut oil.
- Do not drink anything within one hour before or after using coconut oil.
We have given you plenty of reason as to why you should coconut oil. You might have also noted many of them are organic and natural. If the problem still persists after using coconut oil, do consult your doctor immediately.